Switzer Leads Qualifying, Finnocchio Surprises!
Junior II rider Quinn Finnochio was the surprise of the day with the 5th fastest time.
Kozakov-Semily, Czech Republic - After dominating the 2011 Kozakov Challenge and earning his first World Cup victory of the season earlier this month in the USA, Patrick Switzer showed he is still in top form leading the first day of qualifying in the Czech Republic. Alex Tongue, who was the winner of the first World Cup of the year at Mt. Keira, Australia currently sits in the number two spot. James Kelly who's had a strong season so far currently sits in the number three position. Kevin Bouaich from Switzerland put in an impressive run provisionally earning the number four starting position.
The big surprise of the day was Quinn Finnochio. The reigning IGSA Jr II NorAm Series Champion shocked many with his quick run that placed him in the number five spot. Many people will be keeping an eye on his progress this weekend as he makes his European racing debut.
Patrick Switzer on the start line prior to setting the fastest qualifying time of the day.
Today's qualifying run took place in the morning since rain was forcast for the afternoon. The competitors received a full day of practice on Wednesday giving them time to learn and adjust to the course. On Friday morning, the second qualifying run will take place. The top 60 will automatically earn a birth in Saturday's final 64 bracket. Those who qualify in positions 61-124 will be placed into a 'Repacharge" or last chance qualifying race. The top four finishers from that race will earn the final four starting positions in Saturday's main event. We'll have complete coverage over the next four weeks of the entire IGSA European tour.
Open DH Skateboarding
1st Round Qualifying Leaders
1. Patrick Switzer, Canada 2:27.902
2. Alex Tongue, United States 2:28.033
3. James Kelly, United States 2:28.033
4. Kevin Bouaich, Switzerland 2:28.264
5. Quinn Finnochio, Canada 2:28.753
6. Zak Maytum, United States 2:29.105
7. Nicholas Robert, Switzerland 2:29.180
8. Ramon Konigshausen, Switzerland 2:29.359
9. Louis Pilloni, United States 2:29.811
10. Niko Desmarais, Canada 2:29.817
Echegaray-Diez Leads In Street Luge
Spaniard Mikel Echegaray-Diez leads the Street Luge contenders after their first round of qualifying. The Spaniard is looking for his first World Cup Series Championship in 2012 and his assault on the World Cup begins this weekend in Kozakov. Abdil Mahdzan from Malaysia currently sits in the number two position. Two time defending Street Luge World Cup Champion Yvon Labarthe currently holds down the number three spot. Michael Müller is in fourth and five time Classic Luge World Cup Series Champion Michael Serek rounds out the top five.
1st Round Qualifying Leaders
1. Mikel Echegaray-Diez, Spain 2:20.347
2. Abdil Mahdzan, Malaysia 2:21.085
3. Yvon Labarthe, Switzerland 2:21.152
4. Michael Müller, Austria 2:22.877
5. Dr. Michael Serek, Austria 2:23.992
6. Ptak Jacek, Poland 2:25.001
7. Roberto Marasca, Italy 2:25.141
8. Federico Barboni, Italy 2:25.931
9. Alexander Frischauf, Austria 2:25.973
10. Edgar De Wit, Netherlands 2:27.090
COMPLETE QUALIFYING RUN #1 RESULTS