Jeff Budro gives Max Moisanen his longboard at the end of Maryhill 2008
Photo: Jan Moisanen
Max Moisanen at 10 years old became involved in the sport of longboarding in 2008 when he and his dad Jan were looking for a skateboarding event to watch. They came across the IGSA event in Maryhill and went as spectators.
After the finals were over Jeff Budro, of Sector 9, gave Max his competition board and Max was hooked. He competed at Maryhill in 2009 in a piece together set of leathers and has since gone on to compete at Danger Bay and Vernon in Canada, where he came in 3rd and 2nd respectively. He also competed at Maryhill 2010. His goals for next year are to continue to compete and to make it to more races. In the winter Max snowboards with his dad in Washington state.
Maryhill 2010. My best tuck with the oversized set of leathers.
Photo: Dawn Moisanen
20 Questions: Max Moisanen
1. Q: What sports do you compete in?
A: Downhill skateboarding
2. Q: How long have you been riding and racing?
A: 2 years for riding, 1 year for racing
3. Q: What was your coolest moment in the sport?
A: I have 2. When Jeff Budro gave me my first longboard (his!) in 2008 and my 1st trip to Canada to compete.
4. Q: What races do you plan to compete in this year?
A: Maryhill, Danger Bay, Vernon and anything else my mom and dad can take me too.
5. Q: What are your goals for the 2011 season?
A: To be able to do the Donkey kicker ramp so I can go to Cathlamet
6. Q: What is your favorite event?
A: Maryhill Freeride and Maryhill race
7. Q: What kind of equipment did you use?
A: Modified Moose with Paris trucks and sector 9 wheels
8. Q: Do you have any sponsors?
9. Q: Who are your favorite racers?
A: Jeff Budro, Mischo Erban, Patrick Switzer
10. Q: Where do you live?
A: Stanwood, WA
Vernon 2010. Made it to the podium and I was so psyched. Photo Jan Moisanen
11. Q: When is your birthday?
A: January 9
12. Q: Are you married or do you have a girlfriend?
13. Q: What’s your occupation?
A: Student (5th grade)
14. Q: What are your hobbies?
A: Downhill skateboarding, snowboarding, bike riding and swimming
15. Q: Do you have a Website, MySpace and/or facebook?
16. Q: Do you have any pets?
A: Yes. 1 dog (Hank) and 2 cats ( Sam and Ace)
17. Q: What’s your favorite vacation spot?
A: Grandma Anne's woods
18. Q: What’s your favorite food?
A: Spagetti and rice-a-roni
19. Q: What’s your favorite music?
A: Alternative rock and metal rock
20. Q: Do you have any heroes?
A: Not really
Max and his buddy Quinn Dubois get ready to cross the finish line hand in hand at Maryhill 2010
Photo: Dawn Moisanen